February 12, 2009

City Council: Workin' for YOU!

Yesterday when I got home from work, I thought for a while that it was raining because I could hear a constant steady stream of water. I went out onto my balcony to enjoy the rain, but what's this? Sky's clear. I look over into my neighbour's yard to see that they have left an outside tap running on full, straight onto the concrete. What the? I get kind of annoyed cause I fucking hate seeing people waste water, but I figure they'll turn it off when they hear it and remember. It's loud enough that I can hear it, so unless they're deaf, it's not likely to escape their attention.

That was 6pm yesterday. Fast forward to 1.30pm today and it's still running, there's water everywhere. So obviously, the people aren't home. There's no way I'm going into their yard to turn it off, as they aren't even in my street. Normally, I'll kind of just turn a blind eye, everyone else does, why should I care, but that is a LOT of wasted water, so I decide to take a page out of my Nana's book and call someone about it. So first I call the Brisbane Water Commission, who tell me that this is a council matter. They put me through to council.

I explain the sitch to the (unsympathetic) operator. She lets me know that even if I did put in a request for someone to come out, it would take 6 to 10 days for council workers to arrive (they don't drive cars, but harness snails for transport), and even then they would probably not venture onto the property because it is private property. She suggests I go and turn it off. Sure. I'LL go into someone else's private property for you.

Thanks for nothin Brisbane City Council. Not like we're having a water crisis or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Zombietron reserves the right to not publish your comment if you choose to be an asshole.
Have a nice day.